Local living in Asaka and Kujukuri Beach Japan

Aki and I rented a small Japanese home well off the tourist trail. Most locals have never seen a western man here. This is Asaka, a suburb near Tokyo.

Our street
Our little home
The home is more like a caravan than a western house. I have to duck to get through the door. The kichen is smaller than my caravan kitchen. The bed is a loft bed which takes up most of the ceiling in the living room. The bathroom is virtually a caravan bathroom.





Aki said this is a standard home for single people in Japan. One thing that surprised me was the technology. The single electric stove heated much faster than a gas burner. The instant hot water had a preset temperature so showers are always perfect and no waiting for hot water. There is no gas due to the earthquake risk.

A standard Japanese lunch. YUM!

Breakfast while working


Suburban park from my front gate.

Walking trail through park
Park has a large assault obstacle course

Streams and a beautiful Koi pond





Wealthy neighbours, Aki said they are probably farmers



Pushbike is the standard suburban transport. These underground parks are for transferring to trains.

I have't seen one Toyota HiLux here. The narrow streets require tiny cars!

Happy Birthday Aki!

Aki showing me a more traditional form of Japanese living.
The older style of living I found very agreeable. There is one main room used for living and sleeping. Seating is on the floor and the table is replaced with bedding at night. Doors are paper particians.




The view is not so traditional


Love these seats! "You look like a King" laughed Aki


Aki took me out for an amazing dinner!




I headed out solo for a month. One place I lived was Kujukuri Beach in a beautiful traditonal Japanse house.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fathers day alienation (updated)

Aiming to live the dream - biking, boating, camping, travelling, own boss

Eaten alive in the Dunethan swamps