Aiming to live the dream - biking, boating, camping, travelling, own boss




A lot of people have been asking me to start this blog, so here it goes. As a child I made a life changing decision. I decided that my life was going to be awesome, that I would earn the freedoms I was born with as an Australian, and that I would die having made a difference in the world. Initially I lived up to that promise. As a teenager I spent time on Balbarini Station in the Northern Territory and grew up rough.


By the age of 16, while still in high school, I had my pilots licence and my adventures really began. I flew to Kangaroo island, and all the way up the coast to the Whitsunday islands.

Alex Foreman, age 18, flying a Cherokee Piper Archer II across Australia
Alex Foreman, age 16, with Regina Foreman, Whitsunday Islands flight

Around this time my passion for motorcycling also began. My mate Bill lent me his bike, a crappy GPZ250 where a part would fall off on every ride. After doing my rider-safe course, I yelled with joy when I first experienced the freedom of riding. I was hooked.



Alex Foreman on his Honda VFR800, Port Lincoln, South Australia
Alex Foreman on his BMW K1200GT and Sam Barnes on his BMW S1000 riding Arthur's Seat
Alex Foreman and beloved daughter Aurelia Foreman on a Kawasaki ER6n, preparing to marshal for the Adelaide Toy Run

I was also very fortunate and had many opportunities to sail due to family connections and good luck.

Solway Lass delivery voyage from Sydney Harbour to Whitsunday Islands, to be refitted for tourism

Alex Foreman, helmsman for the Solway Lass

Dux Nutz, Hanse Luxury Yacht, bound for Gold Coast boat show and a lucky buyer

Alex Foreman, helmsman for the Dux Nutz

I went to university and studied computer systems engineering and artificial intelligence, but quickly became bored so I joined the Army. Then after many years of service, a lot of shooting, adventures and injuries, I retired and became an abalone farmer. My aquaculture career was too boring for me so I took a job working as a custodial officer in Prisons. In the Army and Prisons I had many adventures, unfortunately none of which I can share in a blog.

Private Alex Foreman age 19, Royal Australian Infantry Corps, with a MAG-58 7.62mm machine gun

Lieutenant Alex Foreman, in service dress

I went on to make the mistake of getting married and settling down. It was a disaster. What followed was years of emotional abuse, false accusations, gas-lighting, control and the destruction of my self esteem. Even divorce didn't end the abuse and control with my ex attempting to bankrupt me, interfering in my relationships and ultimately alienating me from my beloved daughter.

Alex Foreman with newborn Aurelia Foreman
I fell into a deep depression for years and fortunately found a way out of the dark hole, and in the process I took a new career. 

Alex Foreman suffering depression due to domestic abuse
I dedicated myself to helping people suffering anxiety and depression, so they wouldn't have to go through the hell I went through. I created my business, Mind Relaxation Australia and set about delivering the best possible results to my clients. And as a bonus, I could do my work online and over the phone which has freed me to return to a life of awesome adventure.




So I started planing out my new life. I had no idea where to start, never having done anything like this before. I wanted:
  1. To be mobile, stay anywhere I like and operate with low costs.
  2. Spend time with friends and family, who are scattered everywhere!
  3. To have my motorbike with me and ride every great road in the country.
  4. Have a kayak or sailing boat to enjoy the water.
  5. To have my scuba gear to dive on reefs and wrecks.
  6. To live in comfort and be able to entertain guests.
  7. Have a mobile office so I can work while travelling.
  8. To be able to provide for my daughter in my absence and accommodate her if I ever see her again.
My first idea was to live in a boat and tour around the Australian coast, but there were a few problems with that idea. Where do I put my motorbike? Will sailing get boring? Is boat maintenance expensive and hard work? Eventually I scrapped the boat idea and decided to get a motor home of some kind. Although successful, divorce and all the rest has left me with limited financial resources. In fact my budget was about $8,000 which was really unrealistic for what I wanted. I thought a cheap commercial van to use as a mobile garage and a cheap caravan might do the job, but my research into large vans quickly revealed that the cheap ones are notoriously unreliable. Then I walked into Cash Car Monster in Glenelg and the owner Scott pointed me towards a Toyota HiLux cab chassis Ute 3 litre turbo diesel. It looked like I could load my bike and gear onto the tray, and tow a reasonable caravan while being well within the vehicles weight capacity. So I sold my Holden Cruze CDX and pretty much broke even after buying the HiLux. The HiLux's alternator and starter motor died just after buying it, but Scott had them replaced with new.

Toyota HiLux 3L Turbo Diesel cab chassis
The next step in turning my dream into a reality was getting the bike onto the HiLux. This is no easy job as I discovered. Alan at Victor Motorcycles trained me how to safely ramp the bike onto the tray and tie it down. The process is terrifying and took me a whole day of practice before I could confidently do it. It involves leaning the 240kg bike onto my hip and leaning out, then starting it up and clutching the bike up one narrow ramp while walking up the other. By bum was eating my undies the first time I tried it!

Alex Foreman practising skills to walk and clutch  a motorcycle up a slope at Victor Motorcycles

Triumph Sprint ST 1050 loaded on Toyota HiLux flat tray
So on my tight budget I thought I'd have to save $20,000 or more to get a decent functional caravan. However I got very lucky. I picked up a RoadStar pop-top for under $7,000. Peter from Aldinga Beach Motorhomes did me an excellent deal on this little van, and then went to every effort to show me how to use it. It was effortless to tow and everything on it worked.

Toyota HiLux towing Roadstar pop-top caravan


1991 Roadstar single axle pop-top caravan
Finally I took the van up to Mt Compass to test it out and try working out of it. I found that I could just use my mobile data and set up a mobile wifi hotspot to get internet. I'm ready for adventure and the whole rig cost me less than $20k.


Alex Foreman trying out his 1991 Roadstar pop-top caravan
I'd like to thank the people that made this possible for me. Especially Bill Hill with all your caravan knowledge and my amazing Mum who encouraged me to do this.


Comments

  1. Sounds like you're having a ball mate. Really happy for you and looking forward to hearing about your adventures. Take care of yourself out there!

    Grant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Grant, you stay safe in the pit my friend!

      Delete
  2. You can tell a happy person, it secretes from the inside out and beams on their face,... you look so happy. Unhappy people absorb negativity and look sad, but it can be reversed..... Mav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another adventurer at heart. Thanks for the comment Mav :)

      Delete
  3. I got here much interesting stuff. The post is great! Thanks for sharing it! Immediate response first aid

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fathers day alienation (updated)

Eaten alive in the Dunethan swamps