Caravan 4x4 adventure McGauran Beach, Victoria

Nothing like going to a warm secluded beach and relaxing for a few days with family. This was my first chance to tow my Roadstar Pop-top with the BT-50 and got the opportunity to test the 4x4 on sand and a very rough track. The drive down was like a Karaoke night, as we cranked the tunes and sang until our throats hurt.

Alex Foreman at McGauran Beach, Victoria

Family convoy doing a midnight U-Turn in the bush

We reached our campsite in the middle of the night, working our way down a narrow sandy track only to find the tiny camping ground packed out. Nor was there any room to turn around. I found myself gingerly crabbing the caravan around, manoeuvring between tents and trees, wondering if I was going to make it. After a 30 point turn and help from my Aunt, I managed to do it.

Now this is how to spend a night in the bush!

My uncle led the drive to the next possible camp site. In the dark he took us down a very deteriorated track, passing wombats and cows on the way. I switched to low range and engaged the 4x4, then slowly rolled over the potholes and rocks, watching my caravan rock around like J-FORCE under sail. We found a clearing on the side of the track with a beach access opposite, so we pulled in and turned in.



McGauran Beach campsite view

Someone claimed my favourite chair!


The trip was worth the effort. We enjoyed great views, amazing fresh air, good camp cooking and quality family time. On the way out a friendly park ranger apologised for the terrible state of the track, but that very problems probably keeps this area quiet.

Nothing like relaxing in front of the fire


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fathers day alienation (updated)

Aiming to live the dream - biking, boating, camping, travelling, own boss

Eaten alive in the Dunethan swamps