Riding the Alpines and Victorian high country - Sick!

A hasty last minute decision really paid off. Day after day of challenging corners, hard acceleration, remote wilderness, spectacular views, crisp fresh air, bizarre incidents, great food and good company (usually). When the roads are covered in moss, leaf litter and dead-fall instead of engine oil and litter, and you might pass one car in an hour, then you know your riding somewhere awesome. Over two spectacular rides I was led through the Yarra Ranges and Alpine National Park by riders with exceptional local knowledge. Glad I accepted this invitation!
Alex Foreman on Mt Hotham

Grover fixing my Triumph Sprint ST
I nearly didn't make this fantastic adventure. My bike was in no condition for touring in remote locations and I had no coin to spare for expensive parts. It was making some very unhealthy noises and was in major need of some TLC. I suspected a bad clutch, but EastRiders ride leader and mechanic "Grover" helped me out. He quickly figured out the problems and helped me fix it, so I could stay in budget. Had to fit new sprockets and chain and make a few adjustments. We just got the bike ready with just hours to spare.

Grover riding his powerful Yamaha GSX1400, with his mascot mounted on the top box

The line-up, EastSide bikes ready for adventure
Jase O'Donnell led me into the high country. We wound our way up the narrow dark roads, with towering ferns on one side and deep drops on the other. Jase read the constantly changing conditions well, and I found his pace a match for mine. There were a lot of dangerous corners, with crumbling bitumen, pot holes and slippery gravel scattered on the surface. Not a ride for amateurs!

Alex Foreman riding in the Victorian High Country
Traffic was virtually non-existent. Many of the roads were covered in leaf litter and flower petals that were thrown in the air by Jase's tire. It created an odd effect as I rode through a perpetual shower of colourful airborne debris. At one point, a car came round a corner on the wrong side of the road, and pushed Jase off the road while he was leaning in. His back tire slid out on the gravel but he recovered the bike quickly and made it out.

Jase O'Donnell on his BMW S1000 leading through a mountains pass
Getting fuel in such remote areas is also a problem. At one point, we just made it to the next fuel station with 17kms left in the tank. I had similar problems when riding the west coast of Tasmania, where many towns marked on the map were nearly uninhabited and had no facilities at all.

Dairy cow on road, kept trying to T-Bone Jase
We encountered a very large dairy cow, running down the road. Try as we did, we struggled to get passed her. Every attempt to pass the cow caused it to charge at us. So we ended up riding down the road behind her, almost like she was the lead rider haha. Eventually she turned down a driveway into a farm and left us to our adventures.

Jase O'Donnell and Alex Foreman overlooking Lake Eildon
The Eildon-Jamieson Road in particular is SICK! Spectacular, windy and extremely challenging to ride. Over 60kms of hardcore biker action. Thanks for taking me up there Jase.

Eskdale Hotel
We stopped over at Eskdale for the night, a tiny town in the mountains with a population of 84. Staff and locals were friendly, and we got advice from a local farmer on how to deal with road cows. Bed had an electric blanket - thank God!!

Our view while having a hot meal and drinks at the Eskdale Hotel

Jase O'Donnell having a cold one at Eskdale Hotel

Eskdale Hotel motorcycle parking.
At the pub were a collection of bikes. There were VIC, NSW, ACT and SA number plates on show. Crazy people like us ride from everywhere to this little pub.

Donning wet weather gear in the cold foggy mountains
We set off through dreary fog and wet roads into the high mountains. Along this route there were branches and trees lying across the road. We had to take it easy due to the hazardous conditions.

EastSide bikes at Omeo

EastSide bikers enjoying a few beers after a great day
Jase and I met up with the EastSiders for their Omeo run in the same area. The weather had cleared up and the riding was just magic.



EastSide riders at Mt Hotham

Trust Jase to take the best photos! BMW S1000 seems to match the background.
On top of Mt Hotham the snows hadn't fully melted, making for great photo opportunities!

My lodgings at Omeo Caravan Park
For the riding around Omeo I set up at Omeo caravan park in an old Viscount. It was a bit smelly for my tastes, but the park itself was lovely. Ended up gathering around campfires with other bikers, swapping stories.

Bella's Cafe, Great Alpine Rd, Harrietville
On the way out of the Alpine region we stopped at Bella's Cafe. I recommend it, the food is amazing.


I peeled off from the EastSide ride and made may way solo back into the Avon Wilderness area where I struggled to find my way around. The roads were poorly mapped and often turned to sand. I became concerned about my fuel and backtracked to the nearest town seeking local knowledge. I ended up at the Kevington Hotel, where the curious locals started questioning me about my bike and the gear I was wearing.

Black Spur Fern Forrest
I made my way back to my caravan via the Black Spur, and loved cruising through the amazing Fern Forrest to finish this brilliant adventure!



Comments

  1. Top story and adventure, recognise a few faces there. Mav

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fathers day alienation (updated)

Aiming to live the dream - biking, boating, camping, travelling, own boss

Eaten alive in the Dunethan swamps