Eaten alive in the Dunethan swamps


I'm really loving the Hobie. Decided to call her "Savage" since she's based on a traditional Polonesian boat used by savage cannibles. I challenged myself to do the entire Moorochy River, traversing mud flats, swamps, low bridges, strong currents, narrow passes and impenetrable forests on either shore.

Mosquito swarms in Dunethin Swamp bit right through my cloths
The mosquitoes were ridiculous. At sunset they formed clouds and there was no escape! Cloths did nothing to stop them. The bastards savaged me big time!


I had to constantly switch between sailing, peddling and paddling as the nature of the river changed. Low power lines and extremely low bridges meant that my mast had to be dropped repeatedly.


No place to get the boat ashore
Wind and current were against me and my paddle broke so I had to abandon the attempt and failed to traverse the entire river. I will make another attempt when wind and tide are in my favor.


To achieve my challenge I need to cover 20 kms and then another 20 kms for the return unless someone will pick me up. On this trip I made it 7 kms down river or 14 kms in total. this is a big challenge! I can do 40kms at sea in a good breeze no problem. Doing it a river is much more difficult.

Comments

  1. Fck that ! Mozzies and I Hate each other with a passion :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. I really like what you've posted here and wish you the best of luck with this blog and thanks for sharing. Immediate response first aid

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fathers day alienation (updated)

Aiming to live the dream - biking, boating, camping, travelling, own boss