Exploring Tokyo Japan with Aki

Ninjas, Samurai, Fast trains, Sushi, Honour, Koi, and Hi Tech. Crazy Japan lives up to it's reputation.
Alex and Aki in Tokyo
The adventure started in Melbourne Airport where I befriended young Miki from Hiroshima. Yes she only has one head and her eyes are the same colour. She entertained me with light conversation during the boring wait to takeoff. Japan Airlines proved very comfortable for the 10 hour flight to Tokyo. I watched a bizzare Japanese inflight movie called "Picking fleas from cats", about a dishonoured Samurai who was ordered to became a gigolo and satisfy bored houswives. He was terrible in bed, so he found another dishonoured Samurai to train him. Nearly wet myself laughing.


At Tokyo Narita Airport I was met by the cute Japanese Nurse Aki who has kindly offered to give me a private tour of her country. I was warned about Japanese culture and protocols - she told me I must behave myself in public places 😮


My first experience was the famous Japanese rail system. I was very greatful to have a guide in the chaos as Aki led me through a maze of backstreets, tunnels and interconnected crowded trains. I was struck by the amazing conduct of the Japanese people. There was zero graffiti and zero litter. Despite the ridiculously high population density, the place was quiet and clean. Everyone was immaculately dressed. The air was surprisingly fresh.



Riding the automated train through Tokyo



The people in central Tokyo I found a bit odd. Being around them was like being around people in an elevator. You don't talk, don't look at anyone, don't touch anything and quickly go where you are going. Further out from the city people were much friendlier and relaxed.

Shinto street festival


Aki took me to a Shinto religious street festival. The streets of Tokyo are turned into a show ground with food and amusement stalls everywhere. Tried ox tounge but it stuck in my teeth. Japanese teryaki beef was amazing. It seemed like a fairly standard affair until the mobile shinto shrines came cruising down the streets. These bizzare contraptions are mounted on wagons, about 3 stories high and pulled by gangs of people hauling massive roaps. They are extremely gaudy and manned by a crew of musicians, dancers and martial arts looking guys. When these glowing musical shrines roll past the crowd gets excited.



Mobile Shinto shrine


Shrine towing team
Then Aki told me that if shrines see each other, they must fight each other. At this point I think "only in crazy Japan would that happen in the middle of a city!" Sure enough, we watched two shrines charge at each other. Those things are surpisingly fast! Police with flashing battons pushed excited onlookers out of the way.


The shrines pushed up against each other as the crew yelled and swiped at their opponents. It was hard to see but I think the roap gangs were also fighting, I could hear a lot of yelling. Then a third shrine joined the fray. Aki yelled in excitement along with the crowd. She had never seen 3 shrines fighting before. Then a 4th shrine moved in.

Shrine confrontation
So I'm guessing each shrine has 50 people manning it. That adds up to 400 combatants in the streets. It looked like ritualised combat. In the crowed we started to get shoved around so we decided to make our escape.

3 Shrines in combat

I decided to eat only traditional Japanese food on this trip. Aki took me to a very popular city restaurant with a long line at the door. The 45 minute wait was worth it! Each table had a bbq hotplate on which we cooked our food as we ate it.

Okonomiyaki and Monjya cooking on the hot plate



These meals are unlike anything I have tried before. Fantastic! Thank you Aki!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fathers day alienation (updated)

Aiming to live the dream - biking, boating, camping, travelling, own boss

Eaten alive in the Dunethan swamps