Ute turned into homemade robot "Ironhide"

Hoisting motorcycle with crane onto ute tray
My new Mazda BT50 4x4 is higher than my old HiLux, and getting the bike onto the HiLux was awkward at best. My Uncle Ron suggested using an electric crane to get the bike onto the tray. I thought the idea was brilliant and cool because my Ute would become a robot. I could also use it to load the Hobie Adventure Island trimaran sailing kayak that I'm planning to get. So we tested the idea.

Cargo hooks easily attach to the head stem of the Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Sling around the structural frame of my Triumph Sprint ST 1050


Experimental lift to prove the bike could be slung easily proves a total success

The test lift proved easy and a success. My uncle's idea looked workable.



We then went hunting for a suitable crane. I ended up purchasing a 800kg Winch Crane from x.warrior on eBay and picked it up from his Victorian warehouse. It was much bigger and heavier than it looks in the picture! "When I suggested it I didn't think you'd actually do it!" laughed Uncle Ron.


Base of the crane fitted to Mazda BT-50

First lift of the motorbike onto the ute tray with cane was a disaster

Disaster

My Uncle Ron and I installed the crane, and thought the base plate was more than strong enough to take the load of the bike. On the first lift the crane performed perfectly, however the base plate wasn't enough and the crane started to tip, bending the Ute's tray and warping the base plate as it went.

Base plate bending ute tray
DIY crane base pate being reinforced with angle iron and welded
So came to job of finding a way to reinforce the base plate and greatly increase it's strength so lifting would be safe and secure. My uncle came up with a plan using an angle iron frame bolted directly onto the ute's frame.


DIY base plate and supporting structure

DIY base plate mounted under crane, bolted onto cab chassis frame

Second try

Triumph Sprint ST 1050 hoisted by crane


SUCCESS!


I am now the proud owner of a robotic 4x4 Ute. Ironhide was suggested as a name for it haha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fathers day alienation (updated)

Aiming to live the dream - biking, boating, camping, travelling, own boss

Eaten alive in the Dunethan swamps