New toy - Mazda BT50 4x4 tow vehicle and toy carrier


After losing the Toyota HiLux I was in need of a new tow vehicle and toy carrier. I decided to take advantage of the situation and try to find something better. After weeks of researching and test driving vehicles I found what I was after. I absolutely love the Mazda BT50 4x4 3ltr Turbo Diesel. It is vastly superior to the HiLux and an absolute pleasure to drive. This beast feels delightfully overpowered and can accelerate up extremely steep slopes with ease. It's so quick that I'm planning to install cruise control to avoid speeding. The 4x4 option can get me out of trouble in slippery situations, and I'm sure it will give me the chance for some serious off-road adventures in the future.

Alex's Mazda BT50 tow vehicle and toy carrier
My cousin James Bagliari is a mechanical engineer, and he happily informed me about how awesome the BT50 is and that he had designed some of it's body work. All I can say is that he did a great job!

Mazda BT50 4x4 cockpit
This is the only cab chassis ute with a cab I like. The bench seat is comfy and there is loads of room. There is even a hole to fit my electric breaking kit, with all the wiring already in place! The cab is really simple, which means more reliable and easier to fix.

Very clean 3 Litre Turbo Deisel under the hood delivers effortless creamy power
The only downside to this beast is it's thirsty engine. Although efficient, the effortless power of this turbo diesel makes it hard to take it easy and that drives up fuel consumption. I couldn't believe how much more power the BT50 has over the HiLux, even with the same capacity engine.

Bill helping me strip my personal gear off the written off HiLux

Bill removing the electric breaking kit from the written off HiLux
Bill came with me to the towing yard and we stripped all my personal gear from the written-off HiLux. A lot of it was smashed, but the expensive electric breaking kit I'd installed for the caravan was salvaged.

Uncle Ron fitting undertray boxes and showing me how it's done
Then came the job of fitting out the ute. My uncle Ron has been key to this whole process, from car advice to installing equipment. He fitted a set of undertray boxes and installed the electric breaking kit.

Undertray boxes on Mazda BT50 4x4 3ltr Turbo Diesel for storing tie-downs and other nomad essentials

Roadstar pop-top caravan hitched to Mazda BT50 4x4 3ltr Turbo Diesel
I was concerned that the 4x4 ute was too high for the caravan hitch, but when I hooked up the rig and took it for a test drive, it was nearly dead level. On top of that, the ute tows like a dream. I'm looking forward to putting a lot of bitumen and dirt under this rig's wheels!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fathers day alienation (updated)

Aiming to live the dream - biking, boating, camping, travelling, own boss

Eaten alive in the Dunethan swamps