Miss-adventure: A lucky escape from a serious accident

Springvale Road Melbourne is the #1 rated accident hot-spot according to AAMI's crash statistics. I discovered that they are right when I was hit by a truck in a 4 vehicle accident. Luckily and amazingly, nobody was killed.

So this is what it looks like after being hit by a truck.


I was stationary at traffic lights in my HiLux, with a truck on my right. Then I heard an impact and the truck's rear end slammed into my drivers side window at head height. I had nowhere to go and just had to take the blow. Glass from my shattered window cut my face and sliced my right eye. I was covered in glass shards. Went into shock for a minute or so. Bystanders immediately came, applied first aid, contacted emergency services and took my phone and let my family know. I was very impressed and grateful at how helpful they were. I was very lucky that the truck took the majority of the impact!


A fireman got me out of the cab, unfortunately dragging me across spiky broken glass. My right eye was in significant pain and I suspected glass embedded in my eye. From what I observed, all the other drivers survived and were conscious. The Victorian emergency services were really professional in attending the scene. I was last to be taken to hospital, being the least seriously injured. The paramedics were also very switched on and did a good job of keeping me cheered up and distracted. They gave me all the information I need about the accident.



Do I look like a pirate? Haha

My Mum, Aunty and Uncle came and supported me while in A&E at Box Hill Hospital. The emergency Doctor checked my eye but referred me on to the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital. Those guys were very professional, quickly identifying issues missed by A&E. Turns out there was a piece of metal in my eye. I honestly couldn't believe how quickly and efficiently they removed it. No anaesthetic and it only felt a fraction as bad as I expected. True professionals at work with precise and gentle hands! With the metal out, the majority of my pain went away. My eye had multiple abrasions and had also been sliced across the cornea by flying glass. The eye doctor said I'm so lucky that I should buy a lottery ticket. If that slice was any deeper, I would have been in serious trouble.

I feel very grateful for all the emotional support I received during and after this accident. Family, clients and friends were very understanding and I could feel all the good wishes and positive energy coming my way. I'm especially grateful for my Mum, Aunty Trish and Uncle Ron for coming and being at my side as soon as they could, then staying with me until all was well. A big thank you to all!

UPDATE


I stopped by the Eye and Ear Hospital for a checkup. They removed a steel splinter from my eye. There is also metal still embedded in my eye but the doctors assure me that it can stay there and may work it's way out at some point. The laceration has healed up nicely. No loss of vision.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fathers day alienation (updated)

Aiming to live the dream - biking, boating, camping, travelling, own boss

Eaten alive in the Dunethan swamps